Michele O’Neil, ACTU President, emailed workers these days. I want to share some passages from her email, so as to explain Australian readers the situation we face and to ask for their help.
O’Neil explains what the Morrison regime wants with their IR Omnibus Bill:
- “Give employers the power to bring in workplace agreements that reduce workers’ job security and cut take home pay and conditions. Specifically, the Bill will allow workplace agreements to be exempt from the Better Off Overall Test (BOOT).
- “Wreck secure jobs by giving employers the power to wrongly classify workers as casuals even when they have ongoing regular work.
- “Remove overtime payments and certainty about hours from part time workers.
- “Hand multinational corporations the power to dictate wages and working conditions through 8-year long ‘Greenfield’ agreements - leaving workers on large construction projects with no say over their conditions and rights, and no ability to address serious work health and safety concerns.
- “Weaken the wage theft laws that are in place in Victoria and Queensland.”
I subscribe to her appraisal and will try to complement it.