Wednesday 18 October 2017

Happy Anniversary, Capitalism.


(source)

Thirty years ago, those were the news. At the time, a still young Ian Verrender was working at the then vibrant The Sydney Morning Herald. These are his memories.

That greatest of all Australian politicians, great intellectual nemesis of Marxism and high-school dropout remembers the crash: "Skid-marks on the pathway of progress"

----------

Toyota closed operations earlier this month and today should be Holden's last. New memories of capitalism in the making. More skid marks on the pathway of progress.

4 comments:

  1. 30 years ago I got my first regular job. I was on my way to a bright future, or so I believed.

    The path to progress is a bumpy road. A rough ride for those behind the wheel, and quite painful for those being run over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first regular job was in 1979: full time as a proof reader and full time uni. In my family we had the idea that you work hard, mind you own business, and you get ahead.

      My dad died at the age of 54. He had been working two full time jobs at the same time for years until a couple of months before his death; he left one job when the doctor told him he was dying. He died shortly after that: he was getting ready to go to work.

      Delete
    2. What did your dad's life teach you?

      Delete
  2. _B_O_B__B_R_O_N_ or _P_A_UL_K_E_A_T_I_N_G_ whos the greatest
    - the oo

    ReplyDelete